Take screenshots or make display screen recordings with the Display screen Seize app now constructed into Chrome OS.
Screenshot assist has lengthy been constructed into Chrome OS. Press Ctrl + Present Home windows to seize a PNG of all the pieces in your display screen. Or, press Ctrl + Shift + Present Home windows after which click-and-drag to seize a selected rectangular space.
Just lately, Google added a Display screen Seize app to Chrome OS that not solely helps you to file your screen–optionally, with audio, as well–but additionally features a new option to take screenshots. That is helpful, since display screen recording on a Chromebook beforehand required third-party extensions or apps.
SEE: Google Sheets: Ideas and methods (TechRepublic obtain)
Find out how to use the Display screen Seize device
First, make sure that your Chrome machine is up to date to Chrome 89 or newer, then observe the steps beneath.
1. Click on within the lower-right nook the place the Wi-Fi, battery and clock indicators show.
2. Choose Display screen Seize (Determine A).
3. Subsequent, choose both Seize (picture) or Report (video).
4. Modify the realm to be captured: the total display screen, a portion of the display screen or a window (as proven in Determine B).
5. Optionally, if you choose Report, you additionally might choose the sprocket after which swap audio recording from the microphone on or off.
6. For those who select to seize or file a portion of the display screen, click-and-drag to specify the part to seize. In any other case, click on wherever on the display screen to both seize your picture or begin recording. When completed recording, click on on the purple file button that shows within the right-side of the shelf to cease recording.
7. Entry current display screen captures both from the shelf (within the lower-right nook space) or wherever your system shops Downloads. To learn to change the obtain location, see: Find out how to change your Chromebook Downloads folder to make sure you all the time have your recordsdata out there.
The Display screen Seize device saves screenshots as PNG format photos, whereas recordings are saved in WebM format recordsdata. Recordsdata in each codecs can be utilized with Google Workspace apps. For instance, you would possibly insert PNG or WebM format recordsdata in a Google Slides presentation or on a Google Websites web page.
Observe: WebM display screen recordings might not play on each machine.
Traditionally, Apple’s Safari browser has not supported WebM recordsdata, though, early 2021 beta releases point out that WebM assist might arrive quickly for Safari on macOS. To verify in case your browser helps WebM, go to the WebM detect web page. For max viewability, you could wish to convert WebM recordsdata to a different format, akin to MP4, to make sure that it’s going to show correctly on most gadgets. Try Convert greater than 200 file varieties in your browser with CloudConvert, to find out about one file conversion device that works effectively for internet-connected Chromebooks.
Different choices? Your expertise?
Whereas Display screen Seize handles fundamental screenshot and recording duties on Chromebooks, third-party apps should still make sense for many individuals. Utilities, akin to Loom for Chrome, Nimbus Screenshot & Display screen Video Recorder and Screencastify – Display screen Video Recorder, do way more than merely seize and save photos and recordings. These apps allow you to seize your webcam alongside together with your display screen recording (so your webcam reveals as an inset video), make fundamental edits to seize photos and recordings in addition to retailer or export recordsdata in several codecs (e.g., MP4, GIF, and many others.). All three of those utilities present some performance totally free, with paid improve choices out there.
What screenshot or display screen recording device do you employ most frequently in your Chromebook? Do you discover Google’s Display screen Seize device enough in your wants, or do you like extra options supplied by third-party screenshot and recording apps? Within the feedback beneath or on Twitter (@awolber), let me know what strategies you employ to seize your Chromebook display screen.